First opened on February 18th 1911 as ‘The Picture House’, the cinema seated only 350 people. 10 years later in May 1921, the building was demolished and re-built. The new cinema was renamed as ‘The Haymarket’. It was further enlarged and was regarded as one of the finest cinemas in the country. It was in the heart of the city, opposite St Peter Mancroft Church. In 1929, it screened one of the first ‘talkies’, entertainer Al Johnson’s ‘The Singing Fool’. It closed in 1959.