The Electric (aka The Norvic)
Prince of Wales Road – Open 1912-1961
Situated on Prince of Wales Road, The Electric opened it’s doors on Boxing Day 1912. Variety shows were just as popular as the films shown and circle patrons could get free teas in the Tea Lounge. The cinema later reopened as ‘The Norvic’, on September 19th 1949. The widescreen format Cinemascope was introduced to the Cinema in 1954 with a screening of ‘The Robe’. Without much notice, it closed its doors for the last time on a Saturday afternoon in 1959 with a screening of ‘Wild in the Country’. In 1961, it was eventually demolished to provide space for a new office development.